Homework is work that is set to be done outside the timetabled curriculum. It contains an element of independent study in that it is not usually directly supervised by a teacher. However not all homework is done at home. For some students who find it hard to work at home, or for some tasks which may require resources (books, software, equipment) more readily available at the Academy, it is necessary or desirable to carry out the task at the Academy.
Regular and targeted homework is a key part of students learning at Oasis Academy Mayfield, as well as an important part of a students’ journey beyond the classroom. It is essential in raising student achievement. It enhances learning and develops students’ study skills and as such is an integral part of the curriculum. It requires careful planning and integration into the scheme of work of each curriculum area.
Homework should enable students to:
- Consolidate and extend work covered in class or prepare for new learning activities.
- Access resources not available in the classroom.
- Develop research skills.
- Have an opportunity for independent work.
- Show progress and understanding.
- Provide feedback in the evaluation of teaching.
- Enhance their study skills eg planning, time management and self-discipline.
- Take ownership and responsibility for learning.
- Engage parental co-operation and support.
- Create channels for home/Academy dialogue.
As an Academy, we regularly review our Homework, Marking and Feedback Policy and systems for communicating homework to parents and are very pleased to introduce a new facility for both parents and students called EPRAISE.
Below are a number guides and instructions on how to use Epraise:
- Epraise Students Guide
- Epraise Parents Guide
- Epraise Helpsheet for Students
- Epraise Helpsheet for Parents - Introduction
- Epraise Helpsheet for Parents - Homework Information
Any questions regarding Epraise then please contact:
[email protected] - logins or rewards
[email protected] - homework enquiries.
If you have any concerns or questions about a piece of subject homework that has been set, please contact, either the specific teacher who it was set by, the Curriculum Leader for that subject, or your Head of Year.